Involving Kids in Energy Saving

home savings , ,

New York-based companies like IDT Energy understand the importance of responsible energy use at home. A big part of reducing costs is involving the entire family and educating children on the benefits and practicality of saving electricity.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration has a website dedicated to kids. They explain the in home basics:

“The ability to heat and cool is one important accomplishment of modern technology. Our ovens, freezers, and homes can be kept at any temperature we choose, a luxury that wasn’t possible 100 years ago. But keeping our homes comfortable uses a lot of energy.

Lighting is also essential to a modern society. Lights have revolutionized the way we live, work and play. Most homes still use the traditional incandescent bulbs invented by Thomas Edison. These bulbs convert only about 10% of the electricity they use into the light; the other 90% is converted into the heat. In 1879, the average bulb produced only 14 lumens per watt, compared to about 17 lumens per watt from modern incandescent bulbs. By adding halogen gases, the efficiency can be increased to 20 lumens per watt.”


Comments are closed.